When we talk about internships abroad, people would automatically tell you how great of an opportunity that is. They would congratulate you for passing the visa interview; would tell you how they are so excited for you; but one thing they wouldn’t tell you is the danger you are about to face when you’re finally there and experience it firsthand.

It was a cold spring night in Sandusky, Ohio when my friends and I decided to go to the nearest McDonald’s. It was only a five to ten-minute walk from our company housing; it was freezing, but nothing stopped us from heading out.

Oh, how I wish the cold did.

Or someone did.

How I wish something did.

A white car passed us when we were on our way to our good old friend, Ronald, but we didn’t pay much attention with it. We just kept on talking with each other until we noticed that the car made a U-turn and drove back to the street where we’re walking. Not just once; but twice.

Now, it’s starting to bother us.

We were all starting to get creeped out since it was dark and we’re all alone in the middle of the road. Add the fact that we’re all just students abroad who don’t know anything much about the place. What do we do? Who do we call? Wait, we don’t even have our phones with us!

The third (and last) time they passed us was terrifying.

I didn’t see how many they were inside the car – all I remember is that they were a group of girls and boys.ย We were now about ten to fifteen meters away from them when they started throwing eggs (EGGS!!) and other things at us, shouting different phrases like, “Go back to where you came from!!” ย or “Go home *insulting/racist words here*!!”

I know.

D A M N.

We were scared. It was only our first month in America and we’re only about to stay there for a good three to four months… A supposed to be memorable and fun-filled four months. Why do we have to be scared on our first month? Do we really need to experience such traumatic experience?

The things they threw may not have reached us physically but their words just aimed at us so bad. It left me with so many questions. Mostly how’s, mostly why’s.

How could there be such mean people in this world? Why would they hate a group of teenagers who have done nothing against them?

Is there still a safe place in this world?

That night, it woke me to my senses and thought that, no, there is no longer a safe place in this world.

It was also just yesterday when I heard that a couple I personally know were held up right in front of their home, with guns pointed at their heads, asking them to open the main door so the robbers can take whatever they wanted. The couple just arrived home from somewhere and when the guy opened the car door, a gun was already pointed at his head. Yup, just like the movies.

This just shows that you can be in danger even in the comfort of your homes. What am I supposed to do? Stay at home forever and not explore the beauty of this world? Watch the media all day and frighten myself on how “unsafe” a certain country is?

No. That is not what I want.

This experience did not and would not stop me from making my dream of traveling the world – learning diverse cultures, meeting and befriending people, and trying out cuisines from different countries – come true. It just made me feel much ready to overcome whatever experience I am about to deal with. It didn’t make me back out on my plans hence it made me take safety precautions always wherever I am.

What have I learned after?

I learned that there are still a lot of bad guys in this world so don’t you dare be one of them. Also, as the saying goes, a ship only sinks when the water gets inside it. Never let these people or any kind of negativity get to you. Never let their actions destroy you. Never let them stop you from doing what you truly want.

It has been years but everything is still fresh in my mind like it just happened two days ago.

From that experience, I know I became bolder.

From that experience, I know, I am braver.

Hoo! I never talk about this story and nowย I finally get to share it with the world. (Parents, if you’re reading, I’m sorry I didn’t tell you. I’m okay!! Please don’t talk to me about it.)

How about you? Have you experienced something like this before? Or if not, maybe something close to this experience? What happened? Feel free to share your thoughts. I’m listening.

Love, Amielle

36 thoughts on “America’s all fun & games until people started throwing eggs at you just because

1. justineparagas says:

The mother of my uncle came from Ohio. I didn’t know you visited that place. ๐Ÿค— Grabe unexpected na ginawa nila sainyo yun Ate. Baka nakainom sila? Well America is America. Racists ganern. Joke nga ng mga pinoy di nila naintindihan. Pero ate si God na bahala sa kanila. ๐Ÿ‘ The world? It’s never going to be perfect.

• Amielle De Torres says:

I had my internship in Sandusky, Ohio for more than two months tapos I stayed in LA, sa Carson, for two weeks after. Sila, saan sila in OH? :)

Oo nga, eh. ‘Yun rin naisip namin. And true. It’s never going to be perfect so we just have to live our life to the fullest nalang. ๐Ÿค—

Liked by 1 person

2. Rosemarie says:

I’m so sorry you had to experience that. I just realized how fortunate I was kasi hindi ko na-experience yan dito sa SC. Ikaw 4 months ka lang, ako 4 years ako sa school. Kung sa akin nangyari yan baka nag-drop out ako agad.

3. RheaAngeline says:

Aigooo… ’twas a terrible encounter. Nonetheless, let your eyes focus on forgiving them and moving forward. The way I see it, they need compassion. They need love. They need Jesus. You are more blessed than them in many ways. <3

4. renxkyoko says:

Although it had happened to you a long time ago, as a Fil-American, let me convey my apologies in behalf of the USA.

It was good that you actually didn’t know that you just experienced something dangerous. Throwing eggs at you was bad enough, but be thankful it was not a bullet….. because the racists here in the US are dangerous and totally effed – up sort….. and there millions of them here. next time you travel to the US, stay put in California. ^_^”

5. Mariel says:

That sounds horrible! I can only wonder how you felt when that happened. But you are right, you can’t let them get you down. And don’t take it personally. It’s just sad that there are still so many racists out there. Although I’m sure it happens in other parts of the world too.

6. Kat says:

What happened to you was terrible. I can’t believe (or maybe I can kasi mga racist talaga yung iba sa kanila) that happened to you. Some people are the worst.

7. spacekoto says:

Hindi pa ko nabato ng itlog pero naka experience na ko dito sa SG, bago pa lang ako dito. Pag pasok ko ng elevator, mga group ng mga chekwa andun. Mag isa lang ako. Tapos ung isang guy sabi ng sabi.. pinoy-pinoy-pinoy.. paulit ulit. Nang aasar. Tapos tawa ng tawa parang sira. Tapos ung isang girl sinasaway na sya, ganun pa din. Nakatingin na lang ako sa phone ko kunyari wala akong naririnig. Tapos hanggang lumabas na sila ng elevator. Ako na lang natira. Dun ko nilabas ang inis ko. Sumigaw ako “T@$&$@;$$(&&@ nyo! wahahahahaha!

8. Thea says:

kainis. Minsan magugulat ka nalang kasi di mo maiisip na may gagawa pala ng ganon amp. kainessss hahaha at least nasurvive mo yun. Marami pang mga tarantado sa mundo pero kaya natin to! <3

Lamo sina kuya ko nasa UAE, problema nila nababastos sila don ng mga kapwa lalaki kasi lalaki pala yung binibiktima ng cat-calling diyan dahil pag babae kulong agad sila. hayyy. :(

• Amielle De Torres says:

Ate totoo ‘yan!! Alam mo may friend ako, as in nasa isang place siya, tapos edi may tumitingin na sakanya na local na nakasakay sa car. Tapos di niya pinansin, sumakay na siya taxi diretso accommodation niya. Pagbaba n’ya nakasunod sa kanya pa din ‘yung local. Grabe.

Dahil d’yan, naalala ko bigla ‘yung experience ko namang ganyan dito sa UAE. Sulat ko rin nga ‘yun maisang araw.

Liked by 1 person

• Thea says:

Kaya si kuya ko pinilit talaga nya makakuha license diyan and makabili ng kotse kasi di na daw nya kaya yung everyday sya binabastos. Nakakaloka. Eh baka daw makapatay sya eh kaya kahit struggle, pinilit nya talaga na di na sya magcocommute hahahahaha

9. Richel V. says:

I would like to say I’m surprised by this but not really. I’m horrified this happened to you. I’m legit scared to go to America because of racism but we can’t let select others stop us from doing what we can. So happy you can move past this and didn’t let it sour your internship. <3

• Amielle De Torres says:

Aww, don’t be scared! I’m sure there are still good people out there. Explore the world and let it give you good and bad experiences so you’ll have lots of stories and lessons to tell :) Thank you for taking the time to read this, Richel! โค

10. Hunida's Blog says:

Oh my gosh, I’m so sorry that that happened to you. That’s horrible!

My mom worked at a coffee shop in Texas an a man would come in and tell her that he wanted a large coffee but he wasn’t going to pay for it because he was a citizen and she wasn’t.

My mom actually is a citizen now but she was so scared of the man she gave him the coffee for free that time and every other time he came in after.

I’m glad you’re okay!! I hate that there are people like that in the world. Eggs… really? ๐Ÿ˜•

Any thoughts?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s